Nowadays privacy and confidentiality of personal information are extremely important factors for any project, work or charity around the world. Fraternity Without Borders Canada (FWB-CA) takes that responsibility very seriously.
As a guide to what we believe are appropriate measures to protect your privacy while engaging with our website, FWB-CA follows 10 principles from the National Standard of Canada Entitled Model Code for the Protection of Personal Information, CAN/CSA-Q830-96, which are:
- Identifying Purposes
- Limiting Collection
- Limiting retention, disclosure and use of personal information
- Individual Access
- Challenging Compliance
Personal Information - Definition
Information provided by an individual to FWB-CA that will make that individual a unique person such as (not limited to it): Name; Address; Email; Phone Number; Age; Sex; Marital Status; Race; Nationality; Religion; Country; Credit Card; Financial data; Donations amount.
FWB-CA’s President and Directors are responsible for the organization's compliance with this policy. FWB-CA will protect all personal information provided by individuals that are engaged with our website.
The President (eventually nominated delegates) will care about legal obligations regarding:
- Define appropriate workflow to collect and protect personal information
- Training staff to make sure best practices regarding safeguarding personal information are in place;
- Review policies when required (or formally delegate the task);
Personal information provided to FWB-CA will be used to support FWB-CA´s events; fundraising and financial transparency (issuing tax receipts, account), Newsletters, contact donors for support, promoting events and merchandising, volunteers and employees interaction.
If required by law we might use the personal information for activities not written in the current policy.
FWB-CA will seek consent to collect personal information from an individual. But not always the process to collect that information will follow the same procedures, it will vary accordingly with circumstances presented which may include email; in person; by phone; internet; letters and forms.
Note: Eventually Personal Information will be collected, used or disclosed without knowledge or consent for example legal or security reasons that might make it not suitable for a presented situation.
Personal information collected only will be used to achieve the purposes previously described in this policy.
Limiting retention, disclosure and use of personal information
Personal information that fulfills its purposes and no longer is needed to FWB-CA will be destroyed, erased or made anonymous, as described at CAN/CSA-Q830-96.
There is a saying regarding collecting data “Garbage in, Garbage out”. To fulfill its purpose FWB-CA needs extra care collecting Personal Information that must be precise and up-to-date.
- FWB-CA should work with Donors and fundraisers increasing their awareness regarding providing personal information;
- Volunteers should be proactive to keep FWB-CA posted of changes to their personal information.
Personal information will be protected by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
The security safeguards will protect personal information against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use, or modification. Organizations shall protect personal information regardless of the format in which it is held.
The methods of protection will include:
- physical measures, such as locked filing cabinets and restricted access to offices;
- organizational measures, such as security clearances and limiting access on a “need-to-know” basis; and
- technological measures, such as the use of passwords and encryption and firewalls
FWB-CA is an open book regarding our privacy practices upon request. Any complaints or clarifications should be addressed to our legal department (firstname.lastname@example.org) and it will be our pleasure to assist.
If an individual would like to request access to their personal information, please write to email@example.com providing us with the following information:
- explanations of the reasons - Why do they need the information?
- Proof of identity.